Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act

The Rehabilitation Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs conducted by federal agencies and in programs receiving Federal financial assistance..

Each federal agency has its own set of section 504 regulations that apply to its own programs. Agencies that provide federal financial assistance also have section 504 regulations covering entities that receive federal aid. Requirements common to these regulations include reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities; program accessibility; effective communication with people who have hearing or vision disabilities; and accessible new construction and alterations. Each agency is responsible for enforcing its own regulations. Section 504 may also be enforced through private lawsuits. It is not necessary to file a complaint with a federal agency or to receive a "right-to-sue" letter before going to court.

For information on how to file 504 complaints with the appropriate agency, contact

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Disability Rights Section - NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530
(800) 514-0301 (voice)
(800) 514-0383 (TTY)


The DOJ designates the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) of the Department of Education for enforcement of Section 504 in educational institutions (primary, secondary, and post-secondary) that receive federal funding. Almost all public school districts are covered by Section 504 because they receive some federal financial assistance. Public colleges and universities generally receive federal financial assistance, and most private colleges and universities receive such assistance.

For more information on the Section 504's application to education, contact:

Office of Civil Rights (National Headquarters)
US Department of Education

Customer Service Team
Mary E.Switzer Building
330 C Street, SW
Washington, DC 20202
(800) 421-3481 (voice)
(877) 521-2172 (TTY)

Dallas Office (for Region VI - AR, LA, NM, OK, TX)
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
1999 Bryan Street, Suite 1620
Dallas, Texas 75201-6810
214-661-9600 (voice)
214-661-9587 (fax)
877-521-2172 (TDD)

Health & Human Services

The Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) enforces Section 504 as it applies to health and social services, programs, and activities that receive federal funding..

For general information about the HHS OCR's role on enforcing Title II, contact:

Office for Civil Rights (National Headquarters)
US Department of Health & Human Services

200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Room 509F, HHH Building
Washington, D.C. 20201
(800) 368-1019 (voice)
(800) 537-7697 (TDD)

Region VI - AR, LA, NM, OK, TX
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
1301 Young Street - Suite 1169
Dallas, TX 75202
(214) 767-4056; (214) 767-8940 (TDD)
(214) 767-0432 FAX


How to File a Discrimination Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights
Details the requirements needed to file a complaint with the Department of Education.

Disability Rights Laws Applicable to Student Housing
A table analysing the the various disability laws that may be applicable to post-secondary student housing.